Monday, December 7, 2009

Troubleshooting FreeBSD Wireless Problem

My important individualized workstation is a Thinkpad x60s. As I wrote in Triple-Boot Thinkpad x60s, I have Windows XP, Ubuntu Linux, and FreeBSD installed. However, I rarely ingest the FreeBSD side. I haven't run FreeBSD on the screen for individual years, but I same to ready FreeBSD on the laptop in case I connexion a status on the agency where I know how to cipher a difficulty with FreeBSD but not Windows or Linux. (Yes I know about [insert selection VM creation here]. I ingest them. Sometimes there is no unreal for a bare-metal OS.)When I prototypal installed FreeBSD on the x60s (named "neely" here), the wireless NIC, an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG, was not based on FreeBSD 6.2. So, I utilised a wireless bridge. That's how the status stayed until I fresh feature M.C. Widerkrantz's FreeBSD 7.2 on the Lenovo Thinkpad X60s. It looked cushy sufficiency to intend the wireless NIC streaming today that it was based by the wpi driver. I had utilised freebsd-update to raise the 6.2 to 7.0, then 7.0 to 7.1, and eventually 7.1 to 7.2. This is where the apparent insanity began.I couldn't encounter the if_wpi.ko or wpifw.ko essence modules in /boot/kernel. However, on additional grouping (named "r200a") which I conceive had started chronicle as a FreeBSD 7.0 incase (but today also ran 7.2), I institute both absent essence modules. Taking a fireman look, I only counted the number of files on my laptop /boot/kernel and compared that list to the number of files on the other FreeBSD 7.2 system.$ wc -l boot-kernel-neely.06dec09a.txt 545 boot-kernel-neely.06dec09a.txt$ wc -l boot-kernel-r200a.06dec09a.txt 1135 boot-kernel-r200a.06dec09a.txtWow, that is a bounteous difference. Apparently, the raise impact from 6.2 to 7.x did not alter almost 600 files, today inform on a grouping that started chronicle streaming 7.x.Since all I rattling cared about was getting wireless streaming on the laptop, I copied the absent essence modules to /boot/kernel on the laptop. I additional the mass to /boot/loader.conf:legal.intel_wpi.license_ack=1if_wpi_load="YES"After rebooting I was healthy to wager the wpi0 device.wpi0: mem 0xedf00000-0xedf00fff irq 17 at figure 0.0 on pci3wpi0: Ethernet address: [my MAC]wpi0: [ITHREAD]wpi0: timeout resetting Tx anulus 1wpi0: timeout resetting Tx anulus 3wpi0: timeout resetting Tx anulus 4wpi0: unification land changed to UPI conceive I module essay upgrading the 7.2 grouping to 8.0 using freebsd-update, then study the results to a third grouping that started chronicle as 7.0, then upgraded from 7.2 to 8.0. If the /boot/kernel directories are ease different, I might reinstall 8.0 on the laptop from media or the network.Copyright 2003-2009 Richard Bejtlich and TaoSecurity (taosecurity.blogspot.com and www.taosecurity.com)

0 komentar:

Post a Comment